I want to send & receive secure messages from my phone
Messaging is the most popular method for communicating on smartphones today. WhatsApp, SnapChat, Slack, just to name a few, and of course the behemoths that are Facebook messenger and Google Hangouts all offer messaging services. It’s interesting to note that they are all working in silos – your friends and contacts need to use the same provider as there is no inter-service communication. In general, they are not considered private since the provider has access to your messages.
Messaging apps that perform end-to-end encryption and publish their methods and source code in the public domain are considered here as private messaging tools. You can see a review of multiple apps on the EFF’s secure messaging scorecard.
- Signal for Android and iPhone from WhisperSystem
- Telegram for all smartphone and desktop platforms
- SureSpot for Android and iPhone
- SilentPhone, a commercial solution from Silent Circle
- Bleep, an encrypted peer-to-peer chat infrastructure using BitTorrent
Not what you were looking for?
Try searching another term below: